Friday, November 03, 2006

Academics; What the hell for?

Just like a sprinter or rocket car; I need to get a jumpstart on the next few weeks that are coming up. I’ve become lazy and haven’t done much work in comparison to the amount of work I did at the start of the semester.

What I learned this week

The more I think about what I’ve learned, I come to find that I’ve learnt more about life than academics. Not only has the first semester been a waste of time, it has shown me that the people who don’t get far in life are those who continue to follow the path they took during college.

The ‘Man’ is the person we work for, the government, those who try to control us. Why do we let them control what we do? In most people’s minds being controlled gives them a sense of safety. Those people being controlled become accustomed to this false safety and never let go of ‘the man’.

Life is about taking risks in order to fulfill your goals. If you fall while trying to obtain your goals, you can pick yourself up and learn from your mistakes. Those who hold onto the ‘Man’ all their lives hardly take risks and the outcome of this is living a lower to middle class life.

I have learned that the world cares more about the piece of paper that says you’ve completed college than the actual life experience you gained while being there. This is the only reason for me to be here at college.

What I still wonder about

Professors claim they are very busy and that they do more than most students. This may be true if you compare the students who don’t want to be here to the professors who DO want to be here. Most of us have five courses to keep up with, work during the week and weekends in order to pay for college, try to go out once in awhile to have a bit of a social life, and keep our relationships going with our loved ones that we hardly EVER get to see because of college.

Now doesn’t college sound great? I know some people who are even losing their hair because of college! I personally got sick from working too hard and my cough still hasn’t left even after a month.

What I wonder about is …. IS IT WORTH THE PAIN AND STRESS? Also.. I wonder why lots of professors claim to have done so well in their past jobs and that they miss being there. THEN WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!??!?!

What I already knew

I didn’t know much this class and I didn’t learn much either. I am just coasting through right now and I don’t want to be but I can’t help it. I’m sorry if I’m miserable and I have issues… This is Steve’s and my blog and I’ll say whatever I want.

Conclusion

I’ve been helping lots of people with their technical problems, aiding those who don’t understand what we cover in class. I haven’t read the text book other than the parts I need for the assignments (which is why I did poorly on the midterm). Life for me is getting stressful as I’m sure it is for most people. I just want first semester to be over and done with so that we can all relax and let out a big long *sigh* of relief.

Peace out and good luck to all. Remember to take risks and learn from your mistakes. Screw ‘the Man’ and shove his/her controls up theirs.

JP. Letnick

3 Comments:

At 3:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I still wonder about:
Out of curiosity, I have a question for you. How do you, personally, measure success - and why is it that this kind of success is particularly important to you?

-Lauren ('Loza'/'Enzo')

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger JP&Steve said...

Success can be many different things. To me being at college and earning a degree is great.. but it isn't what I want to do. What I want in life is different than what others want in life. For me to meet my life's goals and ambitions is success to me. For others, taking over the world may be their only dream and their only goal (For those people who don't attain this goal, they do not succeed). I want to have a good family and own my on business. From what I know about working in the business world and knowing everything I'm already doing at college makes me feel as if I'm just slowing myself down in the long run. But I know that this little piece of paper in the end of it all will promise me a good future. So this is why I am upset with the system and how lame it is that I pay thousands of dollars just to take classes that I already know the information about. Oh well. This is life. Its not alwasy fair and so I have to live with that fact.

Long time no talk Loza :) Miss ya.

 
At 4:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting answer there :P
Really have to sleep, so this will be a short reply, but my own view would be as such:
If college isn't where you want to be, it isn't the only way to get what you want. I don't think it's so much that experience isn't valued in the so-called real world, more that experience is difficult to measure without a piece of paper, or a previous job position.
I think I've told you that my partner Jamadji owns his own business... he started a university degree and after much deliberation decided that it just wasn't for him at the time. He's put a lot of effort into getting his business off the ground, and has made a lot of sacrifices for it, but for the moment it's coming along well.
However, you seem to be willing to stick to college despite frustration, which is great, so good luck to you :)
And now for that sleep I so need

 

Post a Comment

<< Home